Friday, January 16, 2009

Relationships

Amanda and I were talking the other morning over breakfast about relationships. We talked about how people demand more of their significant other than they do of their friends or relatives. People are just people, we all have relatively the same limitations and can carry relatively the same workload but people tend to expect more from the ones we choose to spend our lives with.

Tying into the previous statement, we also talked about how people seem quick to anger with a loved one about petty things that might not have bothered us if it were someone else. It seems to me that we put our lovers up on pedestals and assume they are capable of knowing exactly what we want at all times and seem to expect nothing less.

I think the biggest key to any successful relationship is communication and comprimising. I think people are sometimes afraid to communicate their needs. I think sometimes it may be quite the contrary. Some people are far too eager to share how and when, in detail, they want things. For this reason, comprimising is equally as important. Relationships are give and take. Sometimes the happiness of others might be more valuable than your own. We can't have everything we want all the time. If we got everything we wanted all the time we would be easily bored. The best part of any relationship are the surprises. I would much rather have someone show me love and affection in their own way than in the exact way I want it.

This brings me to my next and final point. Katrina had told me about this book called the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I just started reading it but it's great. It's all about how there are 5 different ways to express love and how some relationships don't work because the people in them are basically speaking a different love language. It's fascinating but as I am still only a little ways into it, I will elaborate on i another time...

No comments: